Sunday, April 18, 2010

Parents Stranded in Europe Rush to Get Back to Kids

I am sure that everyone has heard about the volcano that erupted in Iceland which grounded all flights out of Europe.  But now, the big story that all the media channels are covering is of these unfortunate American parents who are stuck in the Netherlands away from their 4 children in the states, all who are under 9 years old.

Ok, so I know it sucks being stranded at the airport. I know it sucks when travel plans get disrupted, and it must be hard when it takes a few days or even a few weeks to get it straightened out. But you should see these people. Crying and bawling on the webcam because they are away from their precious babies.

I don't understand what they are so upset about. It's not as if they were kidnapped and taken away from their children. They chose to spend the first week away, and all of a sudden a second week is so much that they are bawling on the news?  Also, its not like the kids are home alone. They are being cared for by family members and friends, just like they were the first week.

I see this as a pathetic attempt to claim their 15 minutes of fame. It's even more pathetic that the public is eating this story up. I don't get it.

But maybe I'm just callous and insensitive.

No comments:

Post a Comment